- bacon - 2 strips
- yellow onion - 1 whole onion, chopped
- celery - 4 stalks, chopped
- carrots - 3, peeled and chopped
- garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- marjoram - 2 1/2 tsp, dried
- split peas - 1 1/2 cups dried, green
- water - 8 cups
- ham - 1 1/2 lbs, good quality, preferably smoked ham hocks. Note, if using regular ham, keep it in large pieces.
Remove ham from soup. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup (if using a standard blender, add soup in batches to blender, being careful of splashes if the soup is hot). Cut pork up into small chunks and add back to the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste. When serving, you can crumble the bacon over the top.
This can be made ahead and actually tastes better with age (a day or two after initially making)!